Sunday, February 7, 2010

from surfin a couch, to my own bed

I'm sitting comfortably now in a bean bag chair, in the upstairs den of our new home. The double doors are open behind me, to the small balcony; the slightly cooler air comes in. There are two modern couches in front of me facing the tv, an orange one, and one of black leather, without armrests. Our 'matrimonial sweet' (as they call it) is steps away, and it's door and window too are open to the same balcony. Canvassed romantic pictures of Santiago adorn the walls, along with a dartboard, and in the corner sits a fake Charlie Brown sized Christmas tree (?), ornaments and all. The window across from me, above the black leather couch, reveals the open space that is the center of the home, and spans both floors. A wooden staircase spirals squarely along its walls from the first to second floor, around and above the kitchen, which sits on a black and white checkered floor. It floods with orange light in the morning. A big fluffy Alaskan looking dog strolls the first floor--unfortunately he has to leave next month.
We'll be here until mid-July, as you know. It's pretty damn exciting.
I have a couple stories to relay to you, so I'll get to it. I couch-surfed on Thursday night! While I was at the hostel, I received a few unexpected emails from fellow couchsurfers in Santiago, so I emailed them back, and said I'd be down do hang out, and if they have a couch, I'd sleep on it. On Wednesdayish I got a call from one of them named Rod. He invited me over to hang out, and I accepted and asked if it was cool that I stay, and he said of course. (Remember this is all in Spanish! well, maybe spanglish sometimes) I met him at his--nice--apartment in the center of the city, just below Bellavista, the heart of the Santiago club scene. He was absolutely and wholeheartedly welcoming. We talked and he was patient with my Spanish, and truly interested in creating a friendship--one where we learn about eachothers culture, life, etc. So there I was, about 18 floors above Santiago, with Rod and his friends. Oh, and he had a tiny kitten he had rescued from the streets (strays everywhere, remember?), pretty damn cute.
We drove with his friends into Bellavista, where we were gonna meet up with Shay and Corrie and Madison (remember I met Madison at the hostel...and now he's living with us!). I spotted them as we drove through the main drag, and we exchanged waives and yells that were probably awkward to everybody around, and caused a small traffic back up, lol. I went with Rod and friends, but Rod then insisited we go get my friends. He got them into the club with us, so we all danced together. Shay and friends left, and later Rod and I and friends did too. We went back to his house, where he had a mattress and blanket set up for me in the living room--a few hours ago I was a complete stranger; now I have a mattress and blanket in his living room. I slept well, and Rod and I plan to help eachother with language while I'm here, I'll see him again this week.

I have more stories, but right now I gotta get those pictures up. So until next time....chow!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you discovered the joy that is couch-surfing! I'm also glad I discovered your blog.

    Adagia's not the same without you. Although, sometimes it's like you're still there - yesterday Paul and Emelia got into a discussion about you and Danny as Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Something about all the homoeroticism underneath a seemingly innocent detective story (adagia barista?) front. I think they decided you'd be Watson. We haven't forgotten about you yet, anyway. I hope you're loving Chile!

    Kalen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so amazing, congrats bro! Can´t wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete